Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Sleepless in Seattle

Photobucket

When Jake and I were dating, we were pretty much inseparable....I don't think that there was a night in the summer of 2006 that we went to bed before 2 or 3 a.m. We stayed up as long as we could because we were young, in love, and couldn't get enough of each other. It wasn't until we were married that we got a full nights rest, and even then, trying to sleep in the same bed with someone was a new thing. Someone snoring, stealing your covers, and just the weight of someone on the mattress next to you was new. But over the last three years, we have learned to deal with it. Then yesterday on my way into work, the only clean station on the radio was talking about how it is more beneficial for couples to sleep in separate beds than in the same. First reaction was...you're kidding me. Why would I choose to sleep in a different bed....no one to snuggle up to and keep me warm? Then Dr. Sleep busts out the facts that couples have more interrupted sleep and what not when they sleep in the same bed. It made a little sense, but not enough for me to intentionally go a night without Jake by my side.

Until last night.

One of the reasons that keeps me working out is the simple pleasure of knowing I will sleep soundly that night. A tired body sleeps much better than a restless one. So after work I ran 2.5 miles.... and then expected to sleep like a grandpa.

I kept waking up without covers on and gravity kept rolling me into Jake all night. I finally looked at the clock expecting it to say "morning" but it was only 3:47. Then 4:34.

The first thought I have in the morning is always, I'm hungry/what cereal will I eat? So because I couldn't sleep, and I was starving, I ate Life cereal at 4:34. Jake woke up as I slid back into bed. We had a short conversation that I couldn't sleep, and a little sympathy was given, and I was left with my thoughts as Jake dozed.

I thought about how Dr. Sleep was right that if I just had my own bed, I would have slept so nicely. But last November and December Jake was away for work training. I had more sleepless nights then, than I do now. So with all of the research and sleep studies, I choose Jake over sleep... as I once did 3 years ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment