Friday, May 28, 2010

Our Journey

Our family journey started a little while ago. In August 2008 we found out we were having a baby. We were so excited but scared out of our minds. We didn't tell anyone because it was such a new experience and we didn't know how to handle it. Weeks later our pregnancy ended. At home on a Saturday in early October we cried the loss of our first pregnancy. We were 10 weeks along. It was horrible and painful but we knew God had a plan for our family.

Early September 2009 we celebrated the positive signs of this pregnancy. We couldn't get too excited for fear of a repeated heartbreak. As time went on, the news was slowly spread and all was well.

We teared up at our first ultrasound and at the second we celebrated the news of a healthy boy.

It seemed as though time went by slowly...but my belly grew at a rapid pace. We heard whispers from everyone in public about how big I looked, but luckily we grew to laugh with the comments.

The pains of pregnancy were many, but we knew the blessings would out-weigh the trials.

Speaking of weight, Friday May 21st we got to see our baby again and it was estimated he would be 8 lbs 4 oz.

When he was born....he weighed 8 lbs 4 oz. Here is his story:

Thursday morning I got up and made french toast and orange juice for breakfast.

May 27th at exactly 11 a.m. I felt a 60 second contraction. 5 minutes later I had another 60 second contraction. I buried my desire to call Jake and share the news. What if the contractions stopped? They didn't stop. Every 5 minutes a strong 60 second contraction came. From all of the books I read, I knew that my body was going into active labor. I jumped in the shower and got ready to become a mom. I was in a lot of pain. At noon I called the hospital. I talked to a really nice nurse who told me to drink 2 big glasses of water and lay down.

Lay down? That was one thing I couldn't do. For the last hour I had been standing in front of our biggest clock timing these contractions. I didn't feel like laying down would make the pain any better.

So I called Jake to tell him to come home. He didn't answer. I called the office but he was out. I didn't know what to do.....so I vacuumed. The house was spotless and my bags were packed. Finally Jake called and he was in the middle of an appointment. He saw my missed call and called back. I told him to come home because I was in labor.

He got home at 12:45 and was on the phone. He was trying to get his office squared away because he left in such a rush. I have having a major contraction and I was silently struggling through the pain when he turned to ask me a question..... my only response was "Babe, we've got to go!"

He didn't even change clothes. He just put the car seat and our bags in the car. We called the hospital to tell them we were coming.

Unfortunately, The nurse that answered the phone told us that they would just send us back home because my water hadn't broke yet. I didn't understand why they would send me home when I was in active labor. Earlier that day I prayed to have the motherly instincts I would need in this process of becoming a mother and going home was completely against my new instincts.

Luckily when we got there our nurse was really nice. She checked me in and asked me a lot of questions. I kept having contractions and the Dr. came to check on me. They decided not to send me home and it is a good thing because my water broke at 1:30... only 1/2 hour after we checked in.

I had talked to several of my friends about the different pain medications I could take while I was in labor. I remember one friend told me that I could get some medication before the epidural and it would take the edge off of the pain. I had already planned to have an epidural and wasn't entirely interested in going through labor naturally. I told the nurse that I planned on getting an epidural and she said that it would be an hour or two before I could get the epidural, so I asked for the pain medication. She gave it to me and I immediately felt less pain but it made me feel extremely tired. I couldn't keep my eyes open and the lights seemed entirely too bright. In the mean time, Jake went back home to change clothes and grab the camera.

By 5 p.m. I was fully dilated and ready to push. I knew my body was ready to have this baby. The nurse was surprised with how fast I dilated and she decided to wait until the Dr. was back in the hospital before she had me push (just in case).

I started pushing at 5:30. It was really hard to push and with every push the baby's heart rate was dropping. I had been pushing for 2 1/2 hours and I wasn't making any progress. We tried every position possible. By 8 I was so swollen that the Dr. asked for just another 1/2 hour of pushing before we re-evaluated. The nurse had to go on a break at 8 so a different nurse came to help. For some reason the new nurse knew how to help me push and by 8:45 everyone was getting ready for delivery. I allowed some med student to witness the most beautiful miracle of our lives.

Dr. Song had her gloves on and was ready to catch the baby. She made me reach down and feel his head just so I would know how close he was. I tried pushing a few more times but he just wasn't coming out. She decided to use the vacuum on his head. I pushed and she pulled and at 9:03 p.m. Everett Heinz was born. Jake says he was purple but I still couldn't see anything or open my eyes because of the pain medication. His cry was adorable though. I think Jake and I were both in shock a little because the nurse had to ask him if he wanted to take any pictures. Jake cut the cord and then they started doing all of the newborn tests on Everett.

He cried for the first 1/2 hour of his life...hard. I was told that some of my contractions were so long and strong that his heart would just peter out on him. I felt a little cheated that I didn't get to hold him right away. I just laid there while they did tests, weighted and measured him. After we got to hold him and he calmed down a little he was given his first bath. He screamed through the whole thing.

Photobucket


Photobucket


He found his fingers right away and sucked on them to calm himself down.

Photobucket

The rest of the night we just marveled at what a beautiful blessing we had helped create. By 1 am we were put in the recovery room. I couldn't sleep. I wanted to make sure he kept breathing all night.

Photobucket

He is a miracle and we love him so much already. He is so good to us and we can't wait to raise him. What a journey it has been...and it has just begun.

2 comments:

  1. He is SERIOUSLY beautiful you guys :) I can't wait for another round of holding him hehe! Congratulations again and again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Still blog stalking...SO incredibly happy for you both! You will be amazing parents. He is so handsome! Some day we need to have our little ones meet...they are only a few days apart.

    Jake: How did we get so old?! I have 2 kids and you have 1...where has the time gone!? So happy for you and your family!

    ReplyDelete