Friday, April 1, 2011

Downtown Durango

Friday was much like Thursday. We hung out. Talked with Grandma, went for a walk, picked the kids up from school, followed the animals around the house...

(My little sister, Bridget, and I-didn't-let-my-mom-sleep-one-wink-last-night Everett)


Friday night was perhaps the worst night of my entire life. Everett went to bed around 8:30 and by 10:30 he was a screaming mess. Everett must have been in some kind of post watery eye, runny/stuffy nose, possible ear ache pain because he was a monster. After two hours of crying (he was impossible to console) I was ready to give up. I have never in my life felt such physical fatigue as I did that night. After a while, the only way to keep him from screaming was to hold him upright and walk around. As soon as he fell asleep and I laid down, he would start screaming again. Everything inside of me was hurting, my stomach and kidneys the most, probably from two consecutive sleepless nights. Somehow I was holding it together pretty well until about 1:00. Then I silently wept as I carried my twenty pound child around the dark house. I didn't want to be a mother anymore. I had never felt that low in my life.

By 1:30 my mom came down and took him from me. Then, I slept for the first time in three days.


(Everett's Saturday morning bath while eating Malt-o-meal)

My Dad had traveled from AZ Friday night and we had plans for Saturday. He had stayed the night with my older brother who lives in town. They picked us up and we did the same thing we always do. We went to Durango and walked around downtown.


(My dad and Everett. You can see that Ev is exhausted too)


(The train station)

One of the many things I love about downtown is all of the shops and signs.












(These are my favorite!)



We ate some lunch at the Mongolian Grill and my brother's 'fortune' made me laugh:


After lunch we went to my brother's house and played some cards. All Ev wanted to do was sit on my lap and eat the cards. That's when we took him outside to swing. He passed out.

Later we had some dinner at a restaurant I used to work at, then we said goodbye.

Saturday was a good day, but a hard day too. It's always hard and emotional seeing both parents in one trip, but I'm glad I got to spend a little time with my dad.

3 comments:

  1. I've been there... "vacations" that are waaay more stressful that "real" life, so much stress, super tired, wanting to just disappear... I'm sorry.. It SUCKS! But it does make you appreciate your home a little bit more... Take naps everyday this week... You deserve it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Man, Tyrell, I am so sorry that you had to go through that. I totally know exactly how that is. It's so hard, and you just want to cry. I have had many a night like that, most of them when I am at someone else's house on a vacation and stressing about who my crying baby is going to wake up--feeling totally sorry for myself, too. I am not kidding, I would have totally kept Ev for you for a day/night so you could have slept a little. I'm sorry.

    I LOVE the pictures you took of downtown Durango. I just love that place so much. I might have to steal those pics for my own, too, if you don't mind ;) Hope you are catching up on some sleep.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a cute little town! I have heard the same advice over and over, and it has worked for us: You need to take care of yourself in order to be a good parent, and nothing will happen to a crying baby. It may be hard to set them down, but if you are worn out, you can't be the best you can be. I have had nurses tell family members/friends to set the baby in the crib/pack n play/safe room with the door closed, and turn on the shower or fan to drown out their crying so they could sleep. Back in the day they told them to just leave the baby in the house and go for a walk to calm down, but that is illegal now lol.

    ReplyDelete