Monday, April 4, 2011

Emotional Return

Early (hence the hair) Wednesday morning my Grandma left to go back to NM.


We packed and were driven to the airport. We checked our luggage, said goodbye, changed a diaper, and then we were on our way to Denver by 10:00 a.m.

Nothing could prepare me for the flights back home.

During the hour flight to Denver, Everett puked everywhere. Not baby spit up... but puke. Every thing came up. He was covered and his blanket was drenched. The flight attendant gave me a handful of napkins and a trash bag.... I didn't even have to ask, she saw every thing.

When we got to Denver I had exactly 30 minutes between flights. I changed Ev into the spare outfit I had packed and changed his diaper again. We got to gate A42 when they announced that the elite members and anyone traveling with children under the age of five were allowed to board. (Even though I was traveling with a child, I tried to be one of the last people on the plane because Everett is Captain Wiggle Pants and he doesn't do so well in confined spaces.) The gentleman next to me gives me a nudge and says, "That means you sweetheart." I felt peer pressure, so I boarded to plane.

We still had 30 minutes before takeoff and it was a 3 hour flight home because of the headwinds. It hurts to relive the plane ride home, so I will make this brief. Turns out Everett was sick. He had some pretty extreme diarrhea. We went through 4 diapers. Then I ran out of diapers. He pooped again. He had poop all up his back. His extra outfit and blanket were puked on and there was nothing I could do for him. I felt bad, I somehow felt responsible for his pain. We smelled terrible. He screamed. He fussed. He was exhausted. He arched his back and twisted every time I tried holding him upright. He refused to sit, he refused to lay down. In those moments I swore I would never have any more children. I couldn't do it again. I wouldn't do it again. I was hot, embarrassed, hungry, stinky and sweaty. I swore that I would never go and visit family again. Ever again. I was desperate to be home.

Jake met us at the airport. Seattle was dark, rainy, depressing, and it was only 3:00 in the afternoon. I cried the entire way home. Everett slept.

I hate to say that we survived the way home... but perhaps that is the only way to put it.

We're happy we're home.

1 comment:

  1. :( That is the saddest thing, you are making me almost cry reading that. I am glad you guys are home with more outfits and diapers

    ReplyDelete