Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Four Favorites

I'm a big fan of the library- no secret there- and I got a few cookbooks the last time I went. Two of them were baby cookbooks. Everett is a pretty picky eater already and I was at somewhat of a standstill. I had no more ideas on what to feed him.



I found a few recipes in these books that he just loves.

#1) Fruity Smoothie



Everett hasn't opened his mouth for a puree in a loooong time but he does love this smoothie. It's super easy and super good.


(I used a fresh banana and frozen peaches)

Like everything else, Everett eats his smoothie with his whole body. This is Everett on our morning walk with flaxseed smeared in his eyebrow and on his forehead and cheek



#2) Root Veggie Medley. This is delicious and makes the perfect side dish. 1 sweet potato, 2 parsnips, 2 carrots, olive oil, rosemary, salt and pepper. 400 degrees until soft...probably 45 min or so. It's seriously good. (Parsnips look like big white carrots and taste wonderful).



#3) Chicken and Apricot Curry. I have never had any type of curry before so I knew I was going out on a limb by making this recipe. But we all loved it. A lot. (It's a baby recipe so we added some salt on our plates... and served it over Jasmine rice). Delicious.

(click the picture to make it bigger- if you need to)


But if you're in the mood for a non-baby proof recipe... Lemon-Garlic Shrimp and Grits. It's the most amazing thing in the whole wide world. I had never paired shrimp and grits together but this recipe make me wonder if they were meant for each other- like peas and carrots (or me and Jake!).


Recipe (from www.foodnetwork.com)
3/4 cup instant grits
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
3 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 1/4 pounds medium shrimp, peeled and deveined, tails intact
2 large cloves garlic, minced
Pinch of cayenne pepper (optional) (I left this out)
Juice of 1/2 lemon, plus wedges for serving
2 tablespoons roughly chopped fresh parsley (I left this out too)


Directions
Bring 3 cups of water to a boil in a medium saucepan over high heat, covered. Uncover and slowly whisk in the grits, 1 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Reduce the heat to medium low and cook, stirring occasionally, until thickened, about 5 minutes. Stir in the parmesan and 1 tablespoon butter. Remove from the heat and season with salt and pepper. Cover to keep warm.

Meanwhile, season the shrimp with salt and pepper. Melt the remaining 2 tablespoons butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the shrimp, garlic and cayenne, if using, and cook, tossing, until the shrimp are pink, 3 to 4 minutes. Remove from the heat and add 2 tablespoons water, the lemon juice and parsley; stir to coat the shrimp with the sauce and season with salt and pepper.


Divide the grits among shallow bowls and top with the shrimp and sauce. Serve with lemon wedges.


I hope you'll like the recipes as much as we do!

1 comment:

  1. OOh! I wish i had the motivation to make food like that. P.S. i loooooove curry. As in i threw curry powder in my stovetop stuffing the other day. I wonder if sawyer likes it too.

    ReplyDelete