Sunday, April 17, 2011

Growing A Garden

We weren't going to have a garden this year. The house/yard is surrounded by trees and there isn't one spot that gets more than a couple hours of sunlight a day. I was kind-of relieved that we decided not to have a garden... and it's not like last year's garden was much to talk about anyway.

But then I read an article on being more self reliant and growing a garden. Needless to say, we are growing a garden. Here is week 1:



Jake e-mailed this picture to me when I was in Colorado. I almost cried. Such a beautiful sight!

I have planted Jalapeno peppers, carrots, green beans, cucumbers, peas (two different kinds), summer squash, winter squash, pumpkin, gourds, chives, oregano, parsley, cilantro, basil, rosemary, cosmos, lavender, coleus, shasta daisies, zinnia, and trailing sapphire. I will be so happy if only 1/4 of it grows... but I hope it all grows.


Here is week 2.



       Week 2                                                             Week 4



  Week 2                                                                Week 4



       Week 2                                                              Week 4     



  Week 2                                                             Week 4



Week 4


I've already experienced a little bad luck. All of the spinach I had planted grew and died already. I'm not too heart broken as it is pretty inexpensive to buy already grown, washed and bagged. During week 2 my cucumbers looked mighty and healthy:


and now they are just sad, wilted little things. Maybe I started my seeds a little too early. But I'm a beginner and I assume I will only get better as the years go by.

Jake built 3 garden boxes that we plan to put on the concrete driveway. It's the sunniest place we can find. I can't wait to move these plants outside and have an official garden, but I still have a few more weeks to go before it's safe enough.

I think Everett will be excited to eat some of the vegetables later this summer. He's already tasted the dirt and says it's good....

1 comment: