Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Tai Chi And Me

I really love the fitness classes at the gym. I much prefer to go to one of those than do the treadmill, or any other machine, for an hour. It goes by so much faster and I work out so much harder.

I saw that Tai Chi was on the schedule for our prime time to go to the gym. I didn't know what Tai Chi was so I googled it. It said something like "improves strength, balance, and blood circulation... martial arts... popular with the elderly..." I thought maybe it was like yoga a little bit.

I get there 5 minutes before class is scheduled to start and I am the only one there. A few minutes later two elderly ladies walk in. One of them (her name was like LaVerna or something) came up and said "Hi" and asked if I had even done Tai Chi before. I said that I hadn't but was pretty excited to find out what it was all about. She talked it up like it was the greatest thing since color television. Then she asked me if I was on facebook. She was like 90! (Apparently the instructor posts Tai Chi stuff all of the time... she even gave me his business card so I could look him up and friend request him!)

Class starts and I am the only person under 60.

After a few minutes of breathing in and exhaling a wife drags her husband in. He was wearing jeans and a t-shirt. The instructor is wearing some black ninja looking outfit with gold dragon designs wrapped around it and everyone else was wearing yesteryear's highwater up-to-the-waist sweatpants and kitten sweatshirts. We looked like a bunch of crazies... like white Jackie Chan wannabes.

I was so out of place.

I'm pretty sure I won't be doing Tai Chi for the next 40 years. I've gotten my heart rate up higher just walking to the mailbox than I did in that class. (maybe it was just the instructor?)

And the worst part was when LaVerna ambushed me on the way out and asked if I liked it and wanted to know if I would be back for the Monday class!

(*best picture of me looking out of place)

2 comments:

  1. LOL i love classes too- my favorite at LA fitness were the cycle class and zumba- both are super popular and crowded but at least you dont feel out of place lol...and you actually get exercise...

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was hilarious Tyrell. I bet you were the class star!

    ReplyDelete