Friday, July 8, 2011

Celebrating The 4th



On the 4th of July we decided to check out the town of Ocean Shores. We went into several shops and decide to buy a kite to fly later that day.










(This wasn't even a planned picture!)




There was a shop called The Dusty Trunk and it was my favorite shop ever. I could live in that store. I wanted to buy almost everything in that store and bring it home.... but I excersized some serious self control and didn't buy a single thing. I did take sneak a few pictures though.



We were getting pretty excited to go and fly the kite so we ate some lunch back at camp and then went to fly the kite.



Our kite was black, green, teal, and yellow but I only managed to get pictures of Everett playing in the sand and water...





He was being so hilarious. I think he was trying to stuff sand into his belly button.







Back at camp we had some 4th of July food and got ready to see some fireworks.



We walked out to the beach at dusk just in time to find a spot to watch the fireworks.












We watched the fireworks from the top of a sandhill just off the beach. There were fireworks in all directions of us and it was awesome. It was also super cold, windy, and smoky. We had already pre-decided that Jake would take Everett back to camp if it got to be too much for him. We were only there for 5 minutes before Jake had to hike him back to camp... so Jake missed the huge, professional fireworks display. When we got back to camp Jake and Everett were in the tent with a lantern and they were playing with a story book. It was the sweetest thing ever.




Tuesday morning we packed up camp and headed home went back to the kite store to buy another kite. Jake has been obsessed with wake boarding kites since our friend let us try out his (in a field over 5 years ago). Several people were flying smaller versions of the kite and Jake HAD TO HAVE ONE!!! So we got one and went back to the beach. And it was awesome. I can honestly say that I am in the best shape of my life... and this little kite took me for a ride! I would catch the wind just right and it would pull me across the sand (5-15 feet depending on how strong the wind was). It was rad. I couldn't get enough. My arms, shoulders, and back muscles are still sore and I'd been doing push ups like crazy in boot camp for the last several months. I love our new kite but I kept wishing Jake would've bought an even bigger one... I think I've become just as obsessed as Jake. We can't wait to try it out on our long boards. And it's a good thing we love the kite so much because we got stuck in some MAJOR traffic on the way home (because we left late). Gotta love the city traffic.
A friend once explained the difference between the words trip and vacation to me. This was definitely a trip but it was worth it. Taking your little family camping is no easy task but the memories will last forever and that's what matters.

1 comment: