Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Chocolate Scotcheroos


Pictures from the family reunion

I saw a recipe for Chocolate Scotcheroos on the side of a Rice Krispies box and I had to try it. I made them for our 4th of July camping trip and then again for our family reunion last week. They are delicious and I've had tons of requests for the recipe...

The recipe right off of the box:
1 cup light corn syrup
1 cup sugar
1 cup peanut butter (I like crunchy)
6 cups Rice Krispies
1 cup semisweet chocolate morsels
1 cup butterscotch chips

(Now you can see why they are amazing. Sugar. Sugar. Sugar. Sugar.)

Step 1.
Place corn syrup and sugar into 3-quart saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring frequently, until sugar dissolves and mixture begins to boil. Remove from heat. Stir in peanut butter. Mix well. Add Rice Krispies cereal. Stir until well coated. Press mixture into 13x9x2-inch pan coated with cooking spray. Set aside.

Step 2.
Melt chocolate and butterscotch chips together in 1-quart saucepan over low heat, stirring constantly. Spread evenly over cereal mixture. Let stand until firm. Cut into 2x1-inch bars when cool.

These are seriously delicious. If I can put my two cents in I would say (in step 1) don't let the mixture actually BOIL BOIL.... just let it start to bubble a little bit and then take it off of the heat. The first time I let it boil and the scotcheroos were hard and crunchy. I've made them twice since then with only letting it start to simmer and they are so much better that way. AND the chocolate mixture is a little intense so you can make a 1/2 recipe of that or just leave it off.



P.S. The family reunion was great. Everett got to meet most of his second cousins and it was nice to see the family. It was the first year we've had a reunion and I'd say with the HUGE BBQ, pool, water balloon volleyball, bounce house, and trampoline it was a success.

2 comments:

  1. i <3 chocolate scotcheroos- I'm glad you posted that recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sawyer went to your family reunion?? (First picture, upper left corner, navy blue shirt on the bench swing)
    -Andrew

    ReplyDelete