Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Gard-end



We built our garden boxes in the sunniest part of our backyard... and it currently gets zero hours of sunlight a day. It used to get about 5-6 hours of sun a day... but because of the changing seasons the sun has been  hiding behind the neighbors fence, our two story garage, massive trees lining two sides of our property, or the covered patio so I don't think it will grow much more.

Technically, this was the second year that I've had a garden (although last year was mainly peas and lettuce) it was still a learning experience. A few ears of corn are growing, a few zucchini, 1 spaghetti squash, green onions, lettuce, lavender, sunflowers, strawberries, peas, green beans, carrots, chives, cilantro/coriander, and two green peppers have grown.




I'm still a kid when it comes to growing things. It excites me and I think it's SOOO cool that I grew a garden this year. A part of me wanted to see how big I could grow things... which mostly worked to my disadvantage. Some things died because I didn't pick them in time. Like the cilantro. I just let that stuff go crazy. It grew really tall and then didn't look appetizing anymore. I was telling Montana about it when I was in Portland a few weeks ago and she told me to just leave it because it will go to seed... and the seeds are coriander. I had no idea.



I also grew coleus and tailing sapphire from seed. I'm pretty proud of myself for the successes.



I've enjoyed having a garden this summer. It's been full of disappointments and surprises but I've learned a lot so it was worth it. I'm super excited for next year... mostly because our new yard is almost 100% sunshine. Everett's excited too- he likes to help with the watering.

4 comments:

  1. I am so impressed! I tried zucchini, peppers, onions, green onions, and some herbs. All I got were some green onions and a giant oregano plant. So sad. I need to get some tips from you. Congratulations growing a garden is not as easy as it looks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your garden is great! I wish my "just trying" turned out that yummy

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is so awesome Tyrell! I really wish our yard had more room for gardening. Our next house maybe. Then I'll have to take your class.. (you will teach a class, won't you? :) )

    ReplyDelete
  4. i like how you named this gard-end, very clever!

    ReplyDelete