Thursday, September 15, 2011

YES! To Coupons

I bought 30 boxes of cereal this week.

Call me crazy, but I love cereal. And this was an essential step towards building our food storage... store what you eat and eat what you store, right? Right! AND I had tons of coupons so I got all 30 boxes for a sweet price.

We get the YES! paper in our driveway some Sunday mornings. It's a free Sunday insert paper (the coupons and ads) that magically shows up in our driveway. Some Sundays our neighborhood gets it and sometimes we don't. Also, on Tuesday the grocery store ads come in the mail and sometimes there's a pack of coupons in there too!

Well, our neighborhood got the YES! paper (in our driveways) and the pack of coupons (in the mailbox) last week.

Our neighbor has been out of the country for 4 months and asked me to pick up any paper that he gets... so  I got his YES! paper too.

I took the boys for a bike ride on Tuesday and decided to do a little neighborhood clean-up and picked up 3 more YES! papers from abandoned/foreclosed houses. (Don't judge me! :-) If I don't pick them up, they just get rained on and rot... and that's a sure sign of a house waiting to be broken into... so, if anything, I'm doing us all a favor here! lol)

Last week, Safeway was having a sale on certain Kellogg's cereals (buy 5 boxes/save $5). I happened to have (thanks to neighborhood clean-up) five buy 3 get $1 off special K coupons (plus I already had some Kellogg's coupons).

Long story short... I used lots of coupons combined with lots of good sale items and got lots of good stuff for cheap:


All that for $23.04. This isn't TLC or extreme couponing (because that's fake anyways) but I feel like a successful cereal couponer.

(Cereal for breakfast, Macaroni and cheese for the kid, alfredo because it was buy 2 get 3 free (plus I had $1.50 in coupons), and coconut because I really wanted to make these.)

AND 7 of the boxes of cereal had a $1 off fruit coupon!



(I ended up going back to Safeway and buying another 10 boxes of cereal later that night. Such a good sale!)

Then the next day I went to Albertsons because they had a cereal sale too! Buy 3 boxes of cereal and get free milk. So I bought 8 boxes of Raisin Bran Crunch (using coupons) and 2 gallons of milk for $20.



AND 5 of the boxes had a coupon printed on the box!


(And that's how coupons keep on giving!)

Then I went to Target and got 2 boxes of Kashi cereal and 2 boxes of Kashi granola bars for $12! What a steal.. that stuff is so expensive. And I got 6 big bags of pretzel M&M's for $10- only because I'm addicted (and, of course, they were on sale and I had coupons).

Well, there's a little about coupons. They work and will save you money if you use them wisely (don't buy stuff just because you have a coupon- especially if you don't need it. AND try to use the coupon when the item is on sale.) But I NEED cereal and M&M's to survive... so it's a necessity for me!

Oh, and I did make these:


And they were really good. So good, they're gone already!

1 comment:

  1. LOL that show is not fake! I go to freebies2deals.com all the time and you can click by store and they have a list of things each week that you can get for free (using manufacturer's coupons, store coupons, and sales and/or double coupon days because you are allowed to use one of each on each item) I have done it before! The people on TV just order a LOT of newspapers and have the paper carriers deliver the extra inserts to them. You NEED to visit that site daily if you love couponing. They also let you know when things are on stock-up pricing.

    ReplyDelete