Tuesday, December 6, 2011

I Heart Vintage

My grandparents had a huge set of Reader's Digest condensed books in their house and I've always loved them. I've also always loved thrift store shopping and yard sailing...

There's a nasty little thrift store not too far from our house and I'd never dared to go inside until a recent wave of desperation hit me. I was trying to find some specific things for Everett's room (and we all know that the thrift store is NOT the place to be looking for specific things)... but I thought I would give this crusty ol' store a visit.

The inside was much worse than the outside let on... but I fell in love. An old, hoarder-type man runs the place and he has PILES and PILES of stuff everywhere. It was like a goldmine for the useless stuff collector. Just mounds of stuff everywhere. Everett and I got to digging. Everett found some little toys that the old man gave us for free and I found some of those Reader's Digest books that I've been coveting all these years! I bought all the books I could find... they were scattered all over the store.



They all have the original paper covers too! I'm in love with the designs on the books.



I also found a vintage children's book that I adore.





I didn't find what I was looking for but I found a whole lot more!
This past Summer I was at a yard sale and picked up two vintage Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle books for two dollars. They were just mixed in with a bunch of other books for $1 each.


I don't know what it is about these books that I love so much. Maybe it's how cute and colorful they are... or maybe it's just the history behind them. The inside covers have dates, addresses, and names of the previous owners... I'm assuming three siblings.

(The date says May 26th, 1947)



Part of me feels obligated to find and return these books to one of the siblings (because they were definitely not who I bought the books from) but then part of me just wants to keep a little bit of history on my bookshelf.

I'm so glad I was able to find a few books that I love and that remind me of my grandparents and my childhood. It might not be too long before I venture into that crusty ol' thrift shop again... you never know what I might find!

3 comments:

  1. cool!! pretty sure megan and i are going to sumner saturday morning to shop in all the cute little stores. you can come to if you want. i will text you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness this is too weird, just this morning I started taking pictures of all my thrift store treasures to post, then I read your post and it was like it is my post on your blog haha. I do indeed love a good thrift store.
    One time I found a really old hymn book (1946) with a name in it, and I was waiting in line and this old man in front of me said his name and I recognized it from my book, so I started talking to him and it was the same guy! Crazy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love them too, my dad gave me his old chapter books when I was little to read and some of them were my favorite like Encyclopedia Brown and Henry and the Paper Route....not quite in the 40's but still oldies but goodies!

    ReplyDelete