I bought this dresser/changing table at the Goodwill last February.
It's been a nice... but Everett hasn't let us change his diaper on it for quite a while.
I've always wanted to beef up the dresser because it was so girly... it seems like most of Everett's furniture (and his bedroom) was previously owned by a girl.
It was time for a dresser makeover.
I put some nice, dark knobs on it and took the changing table portion off. I thought that the top of the dresser was convertible (you know, from a changing table to a regular dresser top) but it wasn't.
After removing the rails I was left with a very hole-y and scratched surface.
I thought about filling in the holes and then painting the top white... but it's just MDF and I didn't think it would look as good as it sounded.
So I bought some pine instead.
I had Jake cut it to the right size, and then I sanded it and stained it.
(I beveled the edges a little with our hand-held electric sander)
I wanted a dark stain to match the new knobs I put on. I went with Ebony. I tested a little on the back side and it was way too dark. It looked black.... hence the name. Duh. So I sent Jake to the store and he picked out Jacob Bean.
I wore gloves...
... and following the printed-on-can instructions, put on two coats of stain and two coats of polyurethane. (This process took several days)
I took the legs and girly detailing (on the bottom of the dresser) off and had Jake put on some baseboards instead. Beefy. Manly.
Then we put the top back on and BAM, an updated-for-a-boy dresser.
Look at that shine!
I love the dresser now... no sign of girl. I kept the top/changing table, the legs, and the decorative baseboards just in case we ever want to change it back or make our own changing table (someday in the future). But for now, I'm loving the after!