Friday, February 10, 2012

The Upside Of Being A Little Nuts

Last night Jake and I attended a 'farewell' party for Jake's district manager, while Everett spent the night with his grandparents. This morning I stopped by my chiropractor appointment on the way to pick up Everett. I had to wait for a few minutes... which was fine because I didn't have any-(little)-body to entertain. I picked up the Readers Digest in the waiting room and was quite pleased with my choice in reading material. 

There was an article in there about silly/strange/weird things that people do (or don't do) and they were basically asking if their behavior was 'normal.' 

I got quite a kick out of some of the things people sent in, but what I loved most was the section that explained why some of our behaviors can actually be good. 

Since I've mentioned several of my feeling/emotions/behaviors lately, I thought this was perfect timing for me to read this particular article. It actually made me feel way better about all of my "problems." For example it says: 

Obsessive-compulsive disorder... you're most likely to be hardworking and diligent. People with OCD tend to excel at jobs with strict rules or guidelines that require a high level of conscientiousness. (CHECK! There aren't any strict rules or guidelines to parenting and family planning!)

Anxiety... you're most likely to be compassionate. Highly anxious people are known for their sensitivity and attentiveness to others. (One check for me, one check for Jake.)


Mild bipolar disorder... you're more likely to be creative. Many people prone to mood swings are writers, artists, musicians, and performers. They've got mad flavor. -Dr. Bacchus. (Perhaps a small check? I'd like to have a little mad flavor!)

Depression... you're more likely to be insightful. Depressives tend to be more in touch with the deeper truths about themselves, life, and the human experience, experts say. (CHECK CHECK CHECK!!!)

Asperger syndrome... you're more likely to be a problem solver. Although people with this condition are socially awkward, their intensity of focus steers them toward technology, science, and engineering. "Numbers and concrete science really make since to them," Dr Bacchus says. (Socially awkward, a little; Asperger syndrome, not at all) 

I was so glad I read this article. Look at how many good things come out of my craziness!!! I feel so good about all of my problems now... more please! I'm kidding, but seriously, this made me feel so much better, as did my crack and snap app with the Dr.  

No comments:

Post a Comment