Thursday, April 5, 2012

Summer Food


Last Friday I was feeling a little down because of the lack of sunshine... so I decided to make some Summer food to help cheer me up. 

I made hamburger sliders, (baked) potato salad, and strawberry rhubarb pie for dessert. Some of the best Summer food ever. 



The potato salad is a recipe that my mother-in-law shared with me. Red potatoes, radish, bacon, eggs, green onion, and celery. I call it baked potato salad because Jake and I both hate mayo/miracle whip so I make it with light sour cream instead and it tastes just like the inside of a baked potato. And it has such a good crunch because of the green onion, celery, and radish. 



You just chop everything up, cook the bacon, boil the potatoes and eggs, add sour cream and... shazam! Baked potato salad. 

*When I make this again I'm going to omit the egg because it doesn't really play a big role and I was only using the white part anyway.


Jake grilled up the hamburger even though it was nothing like grilling weather outside. 




The key to any good slider is the bun... King's Hawaiian dinner rolls. Add a little honey mustard and Summer has arrived my friends.






Oh. My. Goodness. And then there was the strawberry rhubarb pie. Best thing ever. 

I used this sweet pie dough recipe and this pie recipe and I must say that I'll use those recipes for life. 



And if the sweet combo of the strawberries and rhubarb wasn't enough... the crumb topping was like heaven on heaven. 





This sweet little pie only lasted 24 hours from the time it came out of the oven. I guess you could say that I'm still working on that self control thing ;-) 

I love Summer food and it definitely hit the spot. Here's to Summer!

3 comments:

  1. ur a great cook!! thanks for the yummy treats you brought me today!! SO GOOD!
    LOVE YOU!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to lick my computer screen. But that would be gross. I LOVE strawberry and rhubarb!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks delicious! I second Delee's comment.... lol.

    ReplyDelete