Wednesday, May 2, 2012

The Playroom

We still have a few pieces of trim to paint in the kitchen so I thought that I'd at least share the playroom with you. 



This room was once the croffice, then we cleared it out to make it a second living room... but that only lasted a day because I didn't like it, so the playroom it became. 

Everett and I spend so much time in here everyday, so it's kind-of a plus that it's freaking awesome! I'll take you on a little tour. 


The alphabet wall. 



I saw this online several months ago when I was redecorating Everett's room. I really wanted to do it in there but I didn't want to nail 26 letters into the beautiful wainscoting. It was kind-of a bummer because I already had the A, B, C, E, F, L, O, U, V, and the Y (from previous decorations). 

But then when the playroom became the playroom I thought it would look perfect on the wall. I went and bought the rest of the 16 letters. It was pretty expensive ($70) and I wasn't even sure if it was going to be worth it. I was going to take them back to the store but then realized that I had already ripped/peeled the tags off of half of the letter AND I washed the receipt on accident. So the only choice I had was to finish the project. 

We painted them all white to begin with (because some were black, silver, brown etc.)

Then I traced the letters onto scrapbook paper that I had, cut them out, glued them on (just the front, the sided are white). Then I spent hours and hours arranging them and doing the final touches (like painting the A three times until I liked it and sanding the edges on the letters). 

It was so much work. Seriously, A LOT of work, but so worth it in the end. I don't think I could love the playroom walls any more!

On the other wall is a picture that I made in Photoshop. I'd be lying if I didn't tell you that I stare at this picture with pure joy and satisfaction that I made it. By myself. 



The other artwork in the room is a little collection of Jake's boy scout badges. 




The shelves. Oh the shelves. Well, two of them were previously in Ev's room.



And the other two came with the house. Remember how the washer and dryer + hookups used to be in the garage? Well, they had these two cabinets with a 12 ft pre-made piece of laminate countertop between them. Like a laundry folding table. But we knew we'd never use it so it was one of the first things to get put in the shed. I brought the cabinets in, took off the doors/handles/hinges and made them into bookshelves. 



Jake cut the top off of the tall bookshelf that we had so that they'd all be the same height. And shebam! Playroom shelves. 




The little red table was given to us several months before Ev was even born and the green rug came from his old nursery decorations. Every single toy was either given to us or was purchased at a thrift store or yard sale. 






We have a lot of fun in here. 









We adore the playroom. 

Besides the floor and trim (because that was part of the great room remodel) the room only cost $80 on top of what we already had. $70 for the alphabet letters and $10 for the family picture (printed). 


 Here's what it looked like before we moved in:


Kind-of crazy. 

We also took out the fan and "boob lights." There were three boob lights, a fan, and a smoke detector all in a row, right down the middle of the room. We took those out, patched the holes, sprayed texture, painted, and then put in can lights. It's so much better. It was a lot of work too. (But Jake did 90% all of it.) 

And that's the playroom!





3 comments:

  1. love, love, LOVE it. I love your creativity and style. I can't wait to see what your kitchen and great room look like. Oh, and I am obsessed with the croffice too. I never really paid attention, but now, thanks to you, I am very well aware or several "boob lights" in my house. HAH!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE IT!!! I wanted to do the alphabet thing for our next kid...I have heard a lot of people assign each guest at the baby shower a letter that they get so it wouldn't be as expensive or as much work lol I don't think I'd have the patience for all that. Good thing you did, it looks so good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the playroom! Where did you get the letters? Thanks and congrats on a beautiful home!

    ReplyDelete