Monday, June 25, 2012

Seattle Rock 'n' Roll 1/2 Marathon

         This race was interesting. Lots of unexpected things happened.



After the Portland Rock 'n' Roll we all tried to convince Jake to run the Rock 'n' Roll Seattle race that I had already signed up for. The Portland race was really hard for me and took a toll on my body. Running a little over 13 miles isn't easy no matter how many times you've done it.

Jake kind-of agreed. Kind-of not. He never really fully committed even though he wanted to. About 10 days before the race he ran 8 miles. I was so proud of him. SO proud. Then he got pumped because he knew he could do it... and crossing the finish line is the only thing that matters.

A few days later a friend invited him on a guys weekend trip. So he chose to do that instead. I hadn't even run since the Portland race and now I was running : / 13 miles! So I crammed in a few runs and hoped for the best.

I seriously have the best-of-the-best, very best running/gym buddies and they already had a hotel reservation, dinner & breakfast plans and they just let me join last minute.

We had to pick up our race packets IN PERSON at the expo the day before the race. We had to park about a mile and a half away and walk because the traffic was so bad. (28,000 runners)







We had fun getting our shirts, checking out the medal, scoping out the samples, and checking out things for sale... like this shirt I thought about getting for Jake... : )




I just about died laughing when we took these pictures!


I couldn't get over how awesome Brenda (pink shirt) looked!




We all had homemade spaghetti, salad, and french bread back at the cutest hotel ever.





(Pictures from the hotel's website)

The hotel was built in 1918. It was old and cool. Our room even had a sitting room and a little kitchen with a view of the space needle. (It was so old that you had to turn a knob and hold it to drain the tub after your shower.)

We all talked, laughed, joked, and eventually tried to fall asleep.



We turned out the lights at 10:30 but I just laid there... blah blah blah... 4 hours later I finally fell asleep. When we got up at 5:15 I felt as if I had slept between the mattress and box spring. Bad. It always takes a little while to get my body started that early in the morning!

We ate our pb&j's and headed to the starting line.




Then the race started and it was cool.


Running through empty downtown Seattle streets isn't something everyone can say they've done! 




I rocked it for the first 5 miles. My pace was right on track to beat any previous finish time I had. Then there was a hill that went straight up and then straight down. It slaughtered my pace.

This race sponsored the American Cancer Society and there were quite a few people that had written loved one's names on their bibs that had passed from cancer. It was humbling.


There was also a hill that was lined with supporters holding American flags. Things like this mean so much to the runners. I hadn't really thought about it until a few days ago, but I am so thankful for the volunteers that come and cheer for us and hand out water along the way. They make the race that much more enjoyable.




After those two hills we went though a really long, awesome tunnel. I picked up some speed and I was on top of the world! The views at the end of the tunnel were amazing. It was also the end of mile 7. My stomach had been cramping pretty violently off and on since mile 5 but I'm way too competitive (with myself) to stop. At the end of mile 7 it was find a porta-potty or die.

And I felt like dying.

It was seriously like labor pains and there wasn't a potty in sight. We were on a big, long, twisty freeway ramp and I couldn't imagine them placing a potty anywhere along the ramp. And they didn't. It wasn't until mile 9.62 when I saw a little blue potty hut! I seriously thought I was going to die because I had to wait in line for a few minutes. I couldn't even tell you how many prayers I prayed!

So the rest of the race was slow. My bowels were telling me that they hated me.... and so were my legs.  I was dead by the time I finished the race. I still finished at 2:00:13 which was an accomplishment considering...

This race was my fifth 1/2 marathon and I think it was my 2nd most favorite. I really liked the course a lot. I met up with my buddies and waited for the rest.



We went back to the hotel, showered, packed, and then went back to the finish festivities. Gym Class Heroes were playing... that was pretty awesome.




I'm secretly glad Jake bailed last minute (even though his guys trip was cancelled because of the crappy weather). I had so much fun this trip/race.... and one of the best parts was that I came home with two medals AND I get a third one in the mail because of this race.


The Pacific Peaks medal is because I ran the Portland Rock 'n' Roll too. (Portland/Mt. Hood, Seattle/Mt. Rainier.) I get another medal in the mail because I ran two of the Rock 'n' Roll series races. Pretty cool for medal hoarders like me! I'd get additional medals if I ran a 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th, and 10th Rock 'n' Roll.... pretty tempting if you ask me!

2 comments:

  1. AWESOME!!! Sorry about the port a potty situation. I saw an awesome pic of a guy in a marathon with you-know-what exploding out of his shorts because he didn't want to risk his time. You still got a good time! lol! It looks so fun, if I ever run one (not likely) I'd do that one. Cool medals, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job Tyrell! I loved reading about your race!

    ReplyDelete