Monday, October 15, 2012

Glad We're Family


We spent the weekend in St. Johns AZ with my Dad. My Grandma's funeral was Saturday afternoon, and although she is my third grandparent to pass away, it was the first funeral I'd ever been to.

It was a good service and I managed to hold back the tears while hearing so much about her life and personality from her children's eyes. I learned about her history and my ancestors and where I come from. As we drove in the funeral procession and they placed her casket on her grave site I started to get weepy. I had to walk away when my uncle knelt down and placed his hand on her casket. He was saying his final goodbyes and it was too much for me.

Afterwards I was able to talk with cousins and relatives that I haven't seen in years. It was so nice to be around people that share my same blood.

Later that night we roasted hot dogs and marshmallows around the fire and played games with my dad and brother and their wives. Sunday after church I wasn't ready to go home. I just wanted to be around my family even if we weren't doing anything. Just to be around your family is enough sometimes.

We ended up having lunch with all of my dad's siblings and most of their families. Everett enjoyed playing with some of my youngest cousins and then we left to go home right before he passed out for his nap.

I am so grateful that we live much closer to many of my family members and thankful that we could spend part of our weekend with them. I feel so connected to them and I'm glad I can call them family.

No comments:

Post a Comment