Monday, October 8, 2012

Nanny

My dad took me out to lunch today. We talked and visited while Everett ate our fortune cookies and behaved so nicely. We had a good visit and then it was time for him to drive back home. About an hour later he called and let me know that my grandma had passed away.

My entire life we have always called her Nanny.

Nanny suffered from a stroke last December that left her unable to live on her own. She was in a nice home with several other ladies and caretakers just 30 minutes away. We were able to visit with her as a family a few weeks after we moved here and it was nice that she was finally able to meet Everett.

I spent the next two Sundays visiting with her and I loved to hear her stories from when she was a child. She had the best memories of growing up on the ranch with her many, many brothers and sisters; she being one of the youngest. Her stories were magical and at times made me wish that life were still that way. I am so thankful that I was able to hear about her favorite times as a child, her wishes and desires, and about her close relationship with the Savior.

I'm sad that she's gone but I know that she's in a better place.

My first visit with her was the hardest. I hadn't seen her since Christmas 2006 so she barely recognized me. It was obvious that her health had deteriorated over the last few years and it was hard for me to cope with. She was very happy to see us and was in good spirits. We stayed and visited for several hours. Then we drove home, fixed dinner, and sat down to eat but I couldn't eat anything. Instead, I laid on my bed and cried for hours. I was just too sad.

I have the best memories of my Nanny and I love her very much. It was hard to see how she had aged and realize how fragile life is.

I hadn't been able to visit with her for the last three Sundays because of guests, her visit to the hospital, and then yesterday was my birthday. It's hard to believe that today she is gone.

(Me and my Nanny)

When she had learned that we were expecting another child, she talked about all of the names she would have loved to have in the family. She told me of her favorite foods and the way she liked to prepare them. She told me of a lemon lime cake she used to make and I went home and made one the next day.

I am so grateful that I was able to spend some time with her before she passed away. I will always be grateful for her good example and sensitive spirit and I will always cherish the time we spent together. I'll miss her so much but I know that I will see her again someday.

2 comments:

  1. So sorry for your loss. It is so sad to lose a grandparent. I'm glad you were able to see her a few times lately.

    Also...happy late birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tyrell, You don't know me but we're 2nd cousins. My grandpa Harbon Heap and your Nanny were brother and sister. I grew up in Eagar and remember you as a little girl when I was taking dance classes from your Mom. I live in Eagar once again with my husband and 4 girls. I hope you don't mind, but I've enjoyed reading your blog.
    So sorry to hear that your Grandma passed away. Grandparents are so special :)

    ReplyDelete