Monday, June 10, 2013

Imagination Evaluation

Imagination

Maybe I wouldn't have worried so much about Everett's imagination if I would've read ahead in my American Academy of Pediatrics book. Right there, on the intro page to age three to five years, it even  starts with "With the child's third birthday, the 'terrible twos' are officially over and the 'magic years' of three and four begin- a time when your child's world will be dominated by fantasy and vivid imagination."

And the crazy thing is that just a few days after his birthday his cars started having conversations with each other and he was occupied for hours playing with his toys. It was GREAT!!!!

That Sunday at church (we keep Everett quiet by feeding him!) he bit his Ritz into a shape and said: "Mom, boat!"


He took another bite and said "Moon!"


Heck yes, my little friend! Eat boat and moon Ritz until your heart is content. (And I totally had to eat like 5 crackers to get the shapes right for these pictures even though he did it with just one cracker, lol)

Suddenly EVERYTHING has a mom and a dad. Every stuffed animal, car, and toy. It's cute.

Sometimes in the evening Everett would play and play and play with his Cars and Jake and I would just let him because it was the first time we didn't need to entertain him so much... he didn't end up going to bed until 10 or 11 for three nights in a row so we had to stop. But he wouldn't go to bed unless we let him sleep with his Cars and even then we could hear him playing through the door.


Love this little boy of mine and his imagination!

Evaluation

Last week we had his final speech evaluation. It's through the school district. By law they have to evaluate all 5 area of development.

Everett scored 100, 101, 97, and 100 in the four areas other than speech. A score anywhere between 85 and 115 is normal and 100 is completely average.

The speech therapist took him into another room and tested his speech. She said he did really good (I was so proud at how brave he was!) and he scored an 86. After she asked me a few questions she adjusted his score to an 82.

He has a hard time saying his F's, he'll use a Y to connect multi-syllable words, and he switches the ends of words around and sometimes puts the ending sound at the beginning of the word. But it's all really common. This is very good news.

He'll go to 30 minutes of speech therapy per week once school starts.

It wasn't that long ago that I sat at the computer and bawled my eyes out for hours because I thought we were going to be faced with a much bigger challenge. He was so far behind and wasn't making any progress for 6+ months at a time and I would get so worried that it would make me sick.

He's been talking so much in the last few months. It's exciting and I'm sure he'll be caught up to other boys his age by the end of the school year.

Yay for Everett!!!

1 comment:

  1. So exciting! I love those proud parenting moments. Good job Everett!

    ReplyDelete