Saturday, September 20, 2014

Mailbox Peak

Jake arrived on a Friday. 

Best Friday of my life. 

All Summer I had been looking up hikes and fun things to do and there was this one hike called Mailbox peak that was supposedly super crazy hard and there was a mailbox at the top. 

The trailhead was in the middle of lots of construction so it was only open Friday afternoon and the weekend. So I just Jake that as soon as I picked him up from the airport, we were going hiking!

First, we stopped and had some lunch :)

I read about this hike online (after another friend hiked it) and read about a new trail leading to the top because so many people get lost on the current trail. But we're dumb and starting hiking the new-not-finished-yet trail for 30 minutes and I kept thinking… this is too easy for how hard it says it is. So we ran back down and looked for the right trailhead. Jake was this sweaty already!!!

Then we found the real trailhead. The warning sign was not lying. In fact it should have probably been a little more warning-ish!

It was HARD. Like straight up a mountain. No switchbacks. Climbing on your hands and feet, lol!

And then you finally get to where you think the top might be and it's still another LONG WAYS from there. 

Jake was literally dripping in sweat. There was not a single dry spot on his body. It was starting to get a little cold too and we started to realize that we completely underestimated the awesomeness of this hike and were totally unprepared. 

And then we saw the mailbox. We both almost cried, LOL! It was so weird, but this hike was so hard and the mailbox was like the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow… until you realize that you have to go down the other side of the rainbow

The wildflowers were so pretty and the views were amazing. I'm so thankful that it was a (mostly) clear day so we could enjoy the beautiful view. 

Since we weren't together on our anniversary I had written Jake a love letter and stuck it in the mailbox. 

He was so tired and winded and I was so anxious for him to read it that I just read it to him! It was all super sappy and full of 'I love you's' and 'I missed you's' and 'I can't live without you's' and stuff like that… but he was too busy taking off his shoes and socks and putting on dry socks to pay attention to my heartfelt letter (true story- he did read it later though.). 

The way down was almost just as hard on the way up. SO STEEP!!! But we had so much fun and it was such a cool thing to do (you know, climb a mountain to see a mailbox :)

The berries we found on the trail were pretty delicious. I'm glad they weren't poisonous!

When we got back to the car we changed clothes and did the only thing we could think of doing… we went back to Scott's Dairy Freeze and had hamburgers and a chocolate peanut butter milkshake.  

On the way home we saw a heard of GIANT wild elk but I couldn't really get a very good picture. 

When we got home the kids got to meet see their Dad for the very first time in 6 weeks! It was so nice to have him back.

No comments:

Post a Comment