Wednesday, August 17, 2016

Kite Boarding In Mexico

Jake has had this dream of kiteboarding for a long time. As long as I've known him plus a couple of years. He said he saw it in a magazine once when he was getting his hair cut and ever since then he's wanted to get into the sport. 


So, if you haven't figured it out yet, our ten year anniversary trip was essentially an excuse to find water and practice :) And I'm totally cool with it. He had to plan a bunch of stuff for us to get away for the weekend. I literally did nothing except come along for the fun!


Jake headed to the beach first thing in the morning. 


It was pretty obvious that it wasn't going to be ideal conditions again so he didn't try and force it... he had a back up plan... but first, he had to play a little. 






In all of the time Jake has been obsessing researching about kiteboarding, he found that all of the kite boarding videos are from the same beach in Rocky Point. We just had to find the beach. 


Luckily we found it. We took the long way out there, but it was pretty!




When we got there, he geared up and got right in the water. I kind-of had to be his coach mom about it and tell him he needed to fly the kite on land and do body drags before he tried to kite board in the ocean. 



He was getting better and more confident each time. When he got to the other end of the beach he'd have to walk his kite back so he could do it again. 




After a few hours he was up on the board! Just like a dream come true...







He had tons of fun and was totally pumped. 



I pretty much ran around taking pictures of him, finding sea shells to bring home to our kids, and eventually flew the kite for myself (on land). 




We were both tired and ready to get out of the sun and I really wanted to go back downtown to see if I could get some pictures of what it was like... 


But I quickly realized that this is where these people live... and they were home, watching me take pictures of their houses...


...so I didn't get all of the pictures that I wanted, but enough to remember the feeling. Like when we bought pina coladas from the fly-infested trailer while Jake talked Spanish to the guys and when they asked him where he learned Spanish and he said Costa Rica and they said, "oh, you must be Mormon" (in Spanish... I could at least pick that up :) 






I could tell Jake was ready to pass out of hunger. I wanted to stop and get some real Mexican street tacos, but I was more interested in not getting diarrhea, so we headed back to the hotel for dinner and ate by the pool. 




There was a family there from Oregon, all white with red sunburns everywhere... wearing their Chacos with Crater Lake (and other) stickers all over their Subaru and it made me smile. Like a big, big smile. 


Our second day in Mexico was much better than the first. 

No comments:

Post a Comment