Wednesday, May 31, 2017

Nostalgic

I've been feeling a little nostalgic lately. The stress of real life is really stressful 😆 and a few times last week I found my mind in another place. 

I was camping. With my Dad, brother, and sister. My entire being begged to be in the mountains, in the forest chopping things with our rusty hatchets, playing cards in our tents because it was raining, and carving our names into Aspen trees. Drinking the purest water from the spring and gorging myself on little debbie snacks. Swinging on the rope swing and riding bikes on old logging roads. Building forts and shooting targets. 


I longed to be eating at one of my dad's favorite all-you-can-eat Asian buffets. With him, of course. Eating platefuls of egg rolls with sweet and sour sauce and all kinds of funky jello salads in a dimly-lit restaurant. 


I was taken back to the time my mom took my sister and I to the hot springs. Just the three of us. No babies. She even let us pick out our own bags of candy and took us out to eat Downtown afterwards. 

I wanted to be in Portland. With Tayne and Lucy. Riding bikes around town, exploring all of the funky things Portland has to offer. Eating purple potatoes, picking figs right off the tree, and eating sweet potato cupcakes from the street vendor. 


But those days are gone. 

I'm glad I have those experiences and memories. And a sister that I shared all of them with. We only talk twice a year at best, but I'm pretty sure we're connected on another level so it doesn't matter. 

I don't know if it's this time of year with graduations and things coming to a close that takes me back or me just wishing for easier times... either way, I've got plenty of good times ahead of me and some good ones to look back on. 

No comments:

Post a Comment