The very first class of my first semester of college was Psychology. The professor was my favorite and that motivated me to make the 30 minute commute and still get there by 8 a.m.
One of the lessons that I still remember went something like this. She passed out little packets of lemonade kool aid and had each person pour a little in the palm of their hand and pass it to the next person. Once everyone had lemonade powder in their hand, she instructed us to taste the kool aid powder every time she rang her bell.
It was so sour. Our saliva glands were going crazy. She did it about 7 times before we were begging her not to ring her bell again. But her lesson wasn’t taught yet. She told us that we didn’t have to taste the kool aid anymore. Then she rang her bell. We all had the same reaction. Our saliva glands were reacting as if we had tasted the kool aid when we hadn’t. She rang her bell again and like magic we were salivating. We had all leaned to associate the ring of the bell with sour lemonade and our bodies were reacting to our new association.
Last fall I was in my first trimester and I was experiencing all of the typical pregnancy symptoms. Sickness, nausea, fatigue...
Every time I look at pictures from last fall I feel sick. I was bummed because fall used to be my favorite time of the year. I went to Joann the other day to pick up some Velcro, and like every other store, they have prematurely decorated their store with the décor for sale. It’s like I was walking through isles of sickness, nervousness, and uncertainty.
I hope I can sever the connection before I start throwing up when I see pumpkins.
One of the lessons that I still remember went something like this. She passed out little packets of lemonade kool aid and had each person pour a little in the palm of their hand and pass it to the next person. Once everyone had lemonade powder in their hand, she instructed us to taste the kool aid powder every time she rang her bell.
It was so sour. Our saliva glands were going crazy. She did it about 7 times before we were begging her not to ring her bell again. But her lesson wasn’t taught yet. She told us that we didn’t have to taste the kool aid anymore. Then she rang her bell. We all had the same reaction. Our saliva glands were reacting as if we had tasted the kool aid when we hadn’t. She rang her bell again and like magic we were salivating. We had all leaned to associate the ring of the bell with sour lemonade and our bodies were reacting to our new association.
Last fall I was in my first trimester and I was experiencing all of the typical pregnancy symptoms. Sickness, nausea, fatigue...
Every time I look at pictures from last fall I feel sick. I was bummed because fall used to be my favorite time of the year. I went to Joann the other day to pick up some Velcro, and like every other store, they have prematurely decorated their store with the décor for sale. It’s like I was walking through isles of sickness, nervousness, and uncertainty.
I hope I can sever the connection before I start throwing up when I see pumpkins.