I am Tyrell B. Berner. I have insomnia... and a baby. What a winning combination.
I was pretty sure Everett had insomnia too. But I read a book called Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child and he'll be fine.

So I am alone in this battle. I've asked Jake how he falls asleep so fast and easy. He says "I just stop thinking and roll my eyes in the back of my head." Hmmm...
With the help of Dr. Weissbluth and a little white noise Everett has been sleeping 12 hours (usually straight) at night. This would be total bliss if I wasn't president of Insomniacs Anonymous. (Perhaps I should start praying to sleep way better than last night). I tried a little white noise of my own and this is one account of how it didn't work:
We took a short walk last night. Jake held Everett in his arm as we walked down the hill towards the mail boxes. Everett was busy looking up at he sky, to the trees, then back to the sky. Jake was telling Everett how much he loved him but if there was one thing he would change about him, it would be that Everett would be more of a snuggler. "But its okay that you're not a snuggler because they don't make very manly men..." I laughed because Jake loves to snuggle.
We bring Everett back in from the cool fall evening and put him to bed. He falls asleep in a matter of minutes (I love you Dr. Weissbluth!). A few hours later we crawl into bed. I turn the fan on for white noise. I start my 2+ hours ritual of trying to fall asleep. At 10:30 the lights on the monitor are blinking. What? Why can't I hear him crying? I turn up the volume. Ahhh. The fan was drowning out Everett's cry. Jake walks across the house to check on our son.

"Babe, guess what? Everett had both feet out of the crib." WHAT? I didn't get it. How? The mattress isn't high enough and there is a bumper pad. You see, Everett does tricks at night. Two nights ago we put him into his crib and laid him in there like normal (horizontal). By morning he had turned 90 degrees and was laying vertically. He rolls around in there and gets all turned around. He plays with his feet now so he will bring his feet up, plays with them, and then will sling shot them back to the ground.

It's kind of funny. But his time he had turned vertical and then slammed his feet right between the rails (over the bumper pad) and got them stuck. Yes, yes... this is our baby Everett.
While Jake was gone checking on our little David Copperfield, I had gotten out of bed and turned the fan up because I could still hear the traffic. I finally fell asleep. At 3:28 I woke up again. The lights on the monitor were flashing again. What? Why can't I hear him crying? I turn up the volume. Ahhh. (Who seriously makes the same mistake twice? An insomniac.) I forgot to turn up the volume when I turned the fan up another notch. I roll out of bed, walk across the house, and discover that my favorite child had his right leg hanging out of his crib. I free up his future soccer kicking leg and console him. Why little child are you doing this?
I feel bad for not hearing him earlier. His sheet was wet from all of the tears he cried while I was intoxicated with noise from the fan. I wanted to apologize and snuggle him. I picked him up and sat in the rocking chair. It's like trying to snuggle a license plate. Hard and awkward. He's stiff and arches his back. Okay man, whatever. I was just trying to apologize. I put him back in his crib and he is immediately sleeping. No snuggling for him.
I try to get comfortable in bed but I can't. There is no way I will be able to fall back asleep. Why do cribs have slats anyways? Why don't they just make baby boxes as cribs? They don't need to see out, they have mobiles? Why can't I sleep? I'm so terrible. Who turns the fan up without turning up the monitor? How am I going to ghetto-rig his crib so he won't put body parts through? .....Stop thinking and roll your eyes in the back of you head. How does Jake do that?.... it hurts my eyes. Should I take some sleeping pills? Well, I don't have 7-8 hours to donate to sleep anymore and then I won't be able to operate heavy machinery........
This is just one account of how white noise does not help my insomnia.
I was pretty sure Everett had insomnia too. But I read a book called Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child and he'll be fine.
So I am alone in this battle. I've asked Jake how he falls asleep so fast and easy. He says "I just stop thinking and roll my eyes in the back of my head." Hmmm...
With the help of Dr. Weissbluth and a little white noise Everett has been sleeping 12 hours (usually straight) at night. This would be total bliss if I wasn't president of Insomniacs Anonymous. (Perhaps I should start praying to sleep way better than last night). I tried a little white noise of my own and this is one account of how it didn't work:
We took a short walk last night. Jake held Everett in his arm as we walked down the hill towards the mail boxes. Everett was busy looking up at he sky, to the trees, then back to the sky. Jake was telling Everett how much he loved him but if there was one thing he would change about him, it would be that Everett would be more of a snuggler. "But its okay that you're not a snuggler because they don't make very manly men..." I laughed because Jake loves to snuggle.
We bring Everett back in from the cool fall evening and put him to bed. He falls asleep in a matter of minutes (I love you Dr. Weissbluth!). A few hours later we crawl into bed. I turn the fan on for white noise. I start my 2+ hours ritual of trying to fall asleep. At 10:30 the lights on the monitor are blinking. What? Why can't I hear him crying? I turn up the volume. Ahhh. The fan was drowning out Everett's cry. Jake walks across the house to check on our son.
"Babe, guess what? Everett had both feet out of the crib." WHAT? I didn't get it. How? The mattress isn't high enough and there is a bumper pad. You see, Everett does tricks at night. Two nights ago we put him into his crib and laid him in there like normal (horizontal). By morning he had turned 90 degrees and was laying vertically. He rolls around in there and gets all turned around. He plays with his feet now so he will bring his feet up, plays with them, and then will sling shot them back to the ground.
It's kind of funny. But his time he had turned vertical and then slammed his feet right between the rails (over the bumper pad) and got them stuck. Yes, yes... this is our baby Everett.
While Jake was gone checking on our little David Copperfield, I had gotten out of bed and turned the fan up because I could still hear the traffic. I finally fell asleep. At 3:28 I woke up again. The lights on the monitor were flashing again. What? Why can't I hear him crying? I turn up the volume. Ahhh. (Who seriously makes the same mistake twice? An insomniac.) I forgot to turn up the volume when I turned the fan up another notch. I roll out of bed, walk across the house, and discover that my favorite child had his right leg hanging out of his crib. I free up his future soccer kicking leg and console him. Why little child are you doing this?
I feel bad for not hearing him earlier. His sheet was wet from all of the tears he cried while I was intoxicated with noise from the fan. I wanted to apologize and snuggle him. I picked him up and sat in the rocking chair. It's like trying to snuggle a license plate. Hard and awkward. He's stiff and arches his back. Okay man, whatever. I was just trying to apologize. I put him back in his crib and he is immediately sleeping. No snuggling for him.
I try to get comfortable in bed but I can't. There is no way I will be able to fall back asleep. Why do cribs have slats anyways? Why don't they just make baby boxes as cribs? They don't need to see out, they have mobiles? Why can't I sleep? I'm so terrible. Who turns the fan up without turning up the monitor? How am I going to ghetto-rig his crib so he won't put body parts through? .....Stop thinking and roll your eyes in the back of you head. How does Jake do that?.... it hurts my eyes. Should I take some sleeping pills? Well, I don't have 7-8 hours to donate to sleep anymore and then I won't be able to operate heavy machinery........
This is just one account of how white noise does not help my insomnia.