At 5:29 (you know, when it gets dark) the power went out. The lights got really bright, and then NOTHING. They flashed back on for a second and then went out again.
We were in the living room. Everett has been Mr. Mom I hate you guts (a.k.a. super fussy) all day… so he was in the swing. When the lights didn’t come back on for several seconds I knew I had to get some sort of light because the power was definitely out and nothing was coming in from outside. Not even street lights.
I carpet-skated over to the steps that lead me to the hard wood. Up two steps… then I rounded the corner to the kitchen.
I’m not much of a scent or candle person… so I have a bunch of un-burned candles in our kitchen cabinets. I purposely put them there with a lighter…. just in case.
I felt around for the cabinets, bumped into the counter, and finally got a big smelly candle down from the top shelf. I lit it. It was glorious. I took down a few more. Within seconds I could smell a popery headache coming on, but at least there was light.

Thankfully, the power came back on at 6:42. Our living room was a Love Spell, Vanilla, Cherry, and Lemon stink bomb. Do you know how hard it is to entertain a baby by candle light? I don’t know how the pioneers did it…
A big fat thank you to my parents for teaching me to always be prepared.
Thanks for electricity. Thanks for candles. Thanks for lighters.
We were in the living room. Everett has been Mr. Mom I hate you guts (a.k.a. super fussy) all day… so he was in the swing. When the lights didn’t come back on for several seconds I knew I had to get some sort of light because the power was definitely out and nothing was coming in from outside. Not even street lights.
I carpet-skated over to the steps that lead me to the hard wood. Up two steps… then I rounded the corner to the kitchen.
I’m not much of a scent or candle person… so I have a bunch of un-burned candles in our kitchen cabinets. I purposely put them there with a lighter…. just in case.
I felt around for the cabinets, bumped into the counter, and finally got a big smelly candle down from the top shelf. I lit it. It was glorious. I took down a few more. Within seconds I could smell a popery headache coming on, but at least there was light.
Thankfully, the power came back on at 6:42. Our living room was a Love Spell, Vanilla, Cherry, and Lemon stink bomb. Do you know how hard it is to entertain a baby by candle light? I don’t know how the pioneers did it…
A big fat thank you to my parents for teaching me to always be prepared.
Thanks for electricity. Thanks for candles. Thanks for lighters.