We have a giant, fruitful lime tree in our backyard. Our landscapers walked away with a shirtful of limes the other day so I figured it must be time to pick them. (I have no idea how to tell when they're ready!) So Everett and I went out yesterday morning and picked 50 of them because I was going to make pie. There literally must be over 500 limes on there right now.
I had no idea how pokey a lime tree could be! It got me pretty good a few times. You can see a few thorns above the lime in this pic:
Turns out I only needed 8 limes to get the juice and zest I needed. I was really feeling the burn as I was juicing those times.... man oh man. The juice found every tiny little cut on my hands and forearms that I didn't even know I had.
But in the end, a delicious lime pie was born... and Jake is in love.
He is a man of strong flavors and this is right up his alley. As for me, I love it too but I have to cover mine with whip cream to tone it down a little.
Turns out whip cream melts kind-of fast when your house is 80 degrees!
p.s. I used this pie recipe and crust recipe.