Skip to main content

Flashback

 I was sitting in the hallway outside of Roxy's new dance class today and was unintentionally eavesdropping on a teenage phone conversation. It sounded dramatic... and I had that happy, grateful moment of gratitude that that part of my life is over. Then on the drive home I had a flashback moment to a camping trip we took with friends when Everett was a baby... and I had that happy, grateful feeling that that part of my life is also over. 

The flashback of that camping trip is based off of a photo that popped into my mind. It's of Jake and I on the beach with Everett in a hiking backpack. I had a deep feeling of appreciation for myself for having taken the time to write about and document so much of our life together... a "tangible" thing to help me remember memories. I was so grateful to have this digital journal/book to provide me with memories and reflection on the last dozen years of my life. 

Parts of my life's journey I've shared are embarrassing, hilarious, useless, useful, and inspiring but mostly I just feel grateful to have it. To reflect back on the last 12 years of pictures, thoughts & moments is a blessing in many forms. 

We've had many less-than-ideal years and plenty of growing pains. I'm humbled to have so much history of myself 😅 I started it because I saw a friend's blog and thought it was kind-of cool to have. So I started one and my dad became my most avid reader and fan. I know it was a highlight in his life. Now that he's gone I've struggled to keep it going. 

But having that flashback moment to that camping trip so long ago gave me motivation to keep it alive... for myself. 

I'm so far behind and have lost too many moments... but maybe I haven't wanted to keep track of everything lately. I feel like we've been a wreck. A literal rollercoaster of emotions. Truthfully, I've considered it could be a blessing that I haven't documented life day-in and day-out lately. It's been heavy. Much too heavy at times. 

But I think we've come out the other side and we're all the better for it. Maybe stronger. Maybe 'wiser'. Definitely more humble. I know I'm not OLD but I am old enough to have learned that the older you get the less you KNOW. "Stay humble and kind" is a pretty solid way to life your life. 

I guess, what I'm getting at, is this: life is a collection of moments and experiences. Nuggets of knowledge and wisdom. And maybe I'm a good enough reason to keep track of these things. Just for me. So that I can always remember to find happiness and gratitude in (and not forget) those moments and experiences. And yeah, I won't forget to included the bad and ugly rollercoaster-y times... It'll just be easier to write about them now that we're on the other side of them.