It took a long time for Jake and I to decide when to take down our Christmas decor. We finally took it all down on Sunday and I was left with a blank canvas. I get overwhelmed at times with out almost-white walls....so it took me a long time to find what to decorate our fireplace with.

We did this all on Sunday for a reason....so I wouldn't be tempted to purchase new decorations. I challenged myself to not spend a dime and not ruin any other decorations I had going on in the house.

While I was engaged to marry Jake, I could hardly bridle my excitement to decorate our own place. I took myself to the DI (thrift store in Utah) and searched for stuff. I found a bag of 4 wooden blocks for $0.50. These 6 sided block were pretty cool...each side had a word and decorations to match a holiday (ex. BOO! with Halloween stuff)....but they weren't cool enough for our 2 bedroom, 1970's, wood-paneled duplex. So I covered them in scrapbook paper, shiny wire, marbles, and ribbon.

They have been a part of our decorations in each house until just recently. They were on a shelf in the craft room, but they were kicked out for some cooler stuff and were just sitting on the closet floor.
I borrowed a flower from our entryway and stole a vase from the kitchen cupboard.

I borrowed the rest of the stuff from around the house. I sometime will buy things at the goodwill and save them for a time when I need them....like the red bottle. I got it a year ago for $0.50 and have shuffled it around. The lanterns I had in our bathroom (but they were replaced by the beautiful soaps Bridget made us)....Jake shined up the lanterns with a little WD-40 and elbow grease. The Family sign we got for our wedding and I just borrowed it from a shelf that doesn't miss it.
P.S. everyone that comes into our home asks us if we have a TV. We do! Its just behind that beautiful flower picture (above the fireplace). There is this awesome built-in cove where it sits nicely. We don't get any TV channels so we just watch movies from time to time...(so we really don't take the picture down that often).
We did this all on Sunday for a reason....so I wouldn't be tempted to purchase new decorations. I challenged myself to not spend a dime and not ruin any other decorations I had going on in the house.
While I was engaged to marry Jake, I could hardly bridle my excitement to decorate our own place. I took myself to the DI (thrift store in Utah) and searched for stuff. I found a bag of 4 wooden blocks for $0.50. These 6 sided block were pretty cool...each side had a word and decorations to match a holiday (ex. BOO! with Halloween stuff)....but they weren't cool enough for our 2 bedroom, 1970's, wood-paneled duplex. So I covered them in scrapbook paper, shiny wire, marbles, and ribbon.
They have been a part of our decorations in each house until just recently. They were on a shelf in the craft room, but they were kicked out for some cooler stuff and were just sitting on the closet floor.
I borrowed a flower from our entryway and stole a vase from the kitchen cupboard.
I borrowed the rest of the stuff from around the house. I sometime will buy things at the goodwill and save them for a time when I need them....like the red bottle. I got it a year ago for $0.50 and have shuffled it around. The lanterns I had in our bathroom (but they were replaced by the beautiful soaps Bridget made us)....Jake shined up the lanterns with a little WD-40 and elbow grease. The Family sign we got for our wedding and I just borrowed it from a shelf that doesn't miss it.
P.S. everyone that comes into our home asks us if we have a TV. We do! Its just behind that beautiful flower picture (above the fireplace). There is this awesome built-in cove where it sits nicely. We don't get any TV channels so we just watch movies from time to time...(so we really don't take the picture down that often).