Skip to main content

Taste The Rainbow

We had a colorful day. 

Did you know that I used to eat cake for breakfast? I did. All of the time. And brownies or cookies or whatever else was delicious and on the counter. In fact, last Summer when I went to visit Montana in Portland, Lucy asked what I usually ate... and Montana said sugar. So Lucy made me some cinnamon rolls so that I would have something to eat in the morning. 

But over the past few weeks and months I've been making a conscious effort to make better food choices. Like at Claim Jumper the other night when I asked if they could make my burger with a chicken breast and I ordered fresh fruit instead of fries. 

I've been feeling pretty dang good (although my diet before wasn't horrible) and I've even lost a few pounds in my quest for better health. I've gained a few things though... new tastes. I tried crunchy almond butter for the first time a week or so ago and I stinkin' love it. Holy smokes that stuff is tasty. I also made some Asian chicken wraps the other day and the sauce called for Greek yogurt. I've never even had Greek yogurt so I thought I'd try it. Greek yogurt is yummy! (But how can you go wrong with milk and cream...) Btw, the chicken wraps are ah-mazing. 

So, since I've been trying new things lately, I decided to make a rainbow cake just for the fun of it. 


Of course the cake was going to look awesome, but I wanted it to taste good too. So I made this recipe and divided it into 6 bowls to mix the colors. 

While I was busy making the cake, Everett was busy painting in his highchair. 



















The bath water was yellow when he was done!


Back to the cakes... I made one cake recipe but still managed to get six layers using a six inch pan.





I cut the tops off of each layer so that they'd be flat...


... then stacked the little lovelies. 



I ate so much of the batter and frosting that I haven't even cut the cake to eat a piece. However, I did have to brush my teeth twice while I was making and frosting the cake because I ate so much of it my teeth were coated in sugar. I started feeling a little sick and light headed... I haven't had this much sugar in a loooong time. But it's super delicious!

 Regardless, it was way fun and super cute. Can't wait to have a slice for breakfast... but then again, maybe not.