Skip to main content

Leaving Switzerland

The trip home was just as much of an adventure as the way there. Just as long and draining and mentally straining (if not more) than the way there. 

We woke up early, went down to the lobby and grabbed our "sack breakfast" they prepared for us. An apple, muffin, yogurt, and two sandwiches identical to the sack lunches a few days ago... bread with mayo and thinly slices cucumber and cheese in one and mayo and one slice of meat in the other. 

I ate my yogurt and saved the rest for later. It was going to be a long day. 

We found the lobby "water closets" (as they are called) and one last time got a kick out of their gender identifications. 


We boarded the bus and I was glued to the window the entire 3+  hour ride to the airport in Zurich. 




I will miss Switzerland SO SO SO much. I kept thinking how I could get more Switzerland in my life. 



We got to the airport, checked in/checked bags, and then Jake was incessant that we had to get rid of everything food related to go through security. I was like "dude, chill. It's not yet. I still want to eat my food"

But he was convinced. And mad. The airport in a stressful place.

I told him he could get rid of the sandwiches if he was so convinced but to at least save my muffin and apple (he had the food and I had the carry-on). 



We were shuffled through lines all over the airport, escalators, trams, lines and lines. And in not one of them did we have to get rid of food... just the water in our water bottles. 



Once we got to our correct gate, we walked around for the remaining hour. I couldn't sit... not with a 9 hour flight ahead of me. 

We found some funny things. I noticed all of their cigarettes had huge "smoking kills" warnings. Maybe it's the same in the U.S.??


We got on the plane. I asked Jake for my muffin. He threw it away. I was mad. I may have said something mean. I watched 3 movies. One was a sad movie about some teenage kids with cystic fibrosis. I totally cried. I watched something else (I can't even remember now) and then The Sound of Music. 

We got off in Washington D.C. 

We stood in the longest customs line of our lives. We talked to some grandparents from Virginia. Their son and his family live in Switzerland. I asked how me managed that. He married a Swiss girl.  We talked to them for a long time. I was fascinated. I want to live in Switzerland.

It was only after they checked our passports and let us through that we had to get rid of any food. 

The Dulles International Airport was not my friend. Our connecting flight was delayed twice and it was 2am Switzerland time. I was tired and feeling gross. My stomach hurts when I get too tired/fatigued. 

We ate big salads for dinner in the airport and disagreed through the entire meal. 

I just really wanted to lay down in a bed. I was being irritable and Jake was being rude. We eventually got on our last 4 hour flight. Jake snored in my ear the entire flight; I read. I was irritated. 

We finally made it home. In Switzerland, it was 8am the next day time (we had traveled for 27 hours straight). I went upstairs as soon as we got home... it was almost 10pm AZ time and the kids were sleeping. Jake paid the babysitter and our trip was officially over. 

Jake went to work the next morning. 


Breckie's note that she wrote was adorable. 

"Mom, what did you get Everett _________"
"Dad, what did you get me __________"
Bike, gun, hover board
Purse snowblobe
Stuffed animal

We gave them their souvenirs and they were excited. They ate the chocolate right away :)